N43 SAMPLE ART ACTIVITY 8
Making a bright textured tree by using coloured buttons to create the foliage. Students pick a colour range of buttons to glue to the tree silhouette they have painted in black. Mount on card to support the weight.
- Black paint or ink
- White card
- Button collection (craft stores)
- Craft glue
- Thick card to mount it on
- Paint a tree silhouette with branches on a piece of card
- Have buttons sorted by colour in big containers at a front desk. Students have a cup to collect buttons in the colour they need.
- Using craft glue, add the buttons around the branches trying to make them look like the leaves and foliage
- Mount on thicker card to hold the picture flat.
- Don’t stick with upright trees, a windswept tree looks great. Look at images of Bonsai on the internet for some other ideas of good tree shapes.
- Tree leaves don’t have to be green. Warm coloured buttons make a great autumn tree, white buttons on a grey background look like snow on a winter tree.
- Tree foliage can have two colours, one main one with speckles of a contrasting colour so it looks like a flowering tree.
- Buttons don’t need to cover the tree, leave spaces at times.
ART ACTIVITY EXAMPLE