M40 SAMPLE ART ACTIVITY 7
Painting a single or pair of rubber thongs with a design. Students may want to wear so get their size shoe. Select a thong with a set colour so the toe straps don’t need to be painted. Paint a scene or pattern on the surface.
- Several pairs of rubber thongs, various colours
- Acrylic paint
- Brushes and sponges
- Spray gloss varnish
- Look at the many examples of painted shoes on the internet to get ideas
- Create a design that fits a thong, don’t paint the straps, just the flat surface so pick a colour thong that matches the design.
- Pencil on paper the design on a traced outline of the thong
- Paint the design using acrylic paints
- Once paint dries, spray the thong with a gloss varnish
- Usually this takes time so students often focus on one thong. If they want a pair, make sure they plan a left and a right shoe design
- If students want to wear their shoes afterwards, make sure they get ones their size. If they aren’t then get smaller shoes, they are an easier surface to cover.
ART ACTIVITY EXAMPLES