K32 SAMPLE ART ACTIVITY 6
Decorating a cup cake with a mosaic of lollies. Students may use coloured icing but the focus is on creating the mosaic using various types of lollies. Monochromatic mosaics are most effective.
- Plain cup cakes
- Food colouring
- Variety of patty pan cases
- Mixture of lollies (best to sort into colour piles)
- Good lollies: Smarties, Mini M&Ms, Skittles,
- coloured Lifesavers, Jelly Beans, Candy sticks,
- Mini Licorice Allsorts, Darrell Lea Mini Boiled Sweets
- Latex gloves
- Bring in cooked cup cakes or have students make them.
- Have a large bowl of frosting and divide into small bowls mixing in different colours so there are several options for icing the cupcake.
- Students love to organize the lollies in colour piles, so hand out food gloves and containers and get them to sort…not eat.
- Keep all the cupcakes, lollies, icing and patty pan cases on a front table, and have students take turns collect all the items they need on individual plates
- Spread the frosting first, then place the cup cake into a case
- Slowly place the lollies in a mosaic pattern on the icing. It can cover the icing or make a small shape in the centre.
- Take photos before eating!
- Rather than monochromatic, make a mosaic of warm or cool colours, or complementary colours. Use the lollies to teach about colour.
ART ACTIVITY EXAMPLES